Monday, November 17, 2008

Caged!

(Published on YT dated: October 10th 2007)
So, its copyrighted!


I often see many charming and beautiful birds being locked up in some cage. Moreover, to hurt that poor bird more, what people usually do is keep his dungeon (cage) beneath the open sky making his every second more sorrowful and painful. That poor creature keeps looking up at the sky and at the free birds flying and chirping happily. I am sure at that instance, the bird prays to God to have some mercy. And that very sound the bird makes becomes our delight. But still the bird tries to learn different tunes hoping that one day that cruel per­son will understand what the bird and shall let him free.
I know most of you wouldn't agree with me because of your utmost love for your parrot or any other pet bird and can't bear the pain of losing it. But the fact is, one should sacrifice his own wishes and desires in order to fulfill others' happiness. For, there lies his real greatness.
I remember that once I had 10 Gould's Finches and one great parrot which I had since childhood. But we kept their cage in our store room so that they would never know what freedom was like or they wouldn't get jealous of the free birds flying. As I grew, I kept the parrot outside the cage, and it usually sat above the cage glancing here and there. One great thing about the parrot was that it never bit anyone. And that made it an extra-ordinary creature to me.
But as time passed, it made a great mess by flying throughout our home and crashing into any object that came in its way. And as he did so, I went straight to each and every window or door of the house and confirmed that it was closed. Then, cau­tiously, I would lead it back to his cage. But I never put him inside the cage. This used to happen for about four times a week.
Later, it grew so worse that my mother decided it was time to free the parrot. It was like snatching my childhood friend. The situation grew worse when the parrot managed to imitate the tune of our door bell. Often, at midnight, my father used to wake up due to the sound. This made him decide that it was high time all the birds were freed.
Now I had very little time left to spend with my parrot. I really can't remember what I spoke to the parrot, but one thing was sure, I let a silent tear flow while patting him.
After some real tough time, my father firmly picked up the cage and took it outside to our lawn. And there he opened the cage. Instantly, seven finches flew away, and after some seconds the rest three, too, flew away.
Strangely, the parrot did not fly away. But as my father cajoled the parrot, it darted straight back into our house. Now, that act made me extremely happy. But my father took it to the nearest tree and left it there. The parrot still did not fly away, but stayed there the whole day.
When I woke up the next morning, however, I found that the parrot had left. That night I couldn't sleep I wept silently, for I had lost my oldest friend.
But after two days a strange thing happened. The parrot along with two finches were found sitting on the cage, which was still kept on the lawn. I was delighted, and my father allowed me to keep the parrot. My happiness knew no bounds. But time changed everything. I had to return to my home country, leaving Qatar. And, I had to leave my parrot, my school friends and all the peo­ple I was familiar with. And this time, no magic occurred.
Now, when I wake up in Pakistan, I cannot find my parrot. But a hope which fires in my heart cheers me. One day, I believe, I will get all that I have lost.
The reason for writing such a long incident is to tell Young Timers never to torture or inflict pain on those creatures who can't speak. If you love those beautiful creatures, let them free and see if they come back. Just like we let go of our friends we have to do with birds like parrots, too. If they come back, you are blessed, but if he doesn't, he never was meant to be yours.
Those who are blessed should treasure every moment of life, for treasures are often lost as time can change everything. Time has two sides, at one instance it can be your greatest friend, but on the other, your greatest foe.


Peace!!

2 comments:

  1. It Happens Actually.... when you care .

    I HAVE MY CASE STUDY , I would like to Share..... (It's partially similar to sameer's one)

    I had a pair of Australian Parrot. And everybody know their re-production process.... a speedy one... so in my own language, i got a pair of hubby-wife, 5 older-babies (they could fly), and 4 new-borns.

    One days, by mistake, someone opened the cage. All the Older-Childrens Flew away. But The Most Strange and Interesting Thing My Family Noticed for hours, was that........ The couple of Parrot could escape..... but they didn't... even the gate of cage was fully opened and waiting for them to fly.....

    Suddenly, My Mother Told us........ "Dekho k MAA aur BAAP apney Bachon se Kitni Mohabbat Kartey Hain.... k ba-wajod un ko farar honey ka rasta mil raha he.... per wo abhi tak apney bachon ko khana khilaney me masroof hain...."

    I would Like to say to all of you..... K AGAR AAP CHAHEN TO KHUD YE PRACTICAL KAR K DEKH LEN..... BIRDS WILL NEVER ESCAPE FOR THE SAKE OF THEIR BABIES...... BECAUSE AFTER THAT INCIDENT I TRIED IT TWICE WITH DIFFERENT SPECIES..... I FOUND THE SAME RESULTS...... AS EXPECTED....

    MORAL: YOU CAN CONCLUDE BY YOURSELF.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent story you shared with us Moh.Rauf!
    Very good indeed!...
    Thanks

    Peace!

    ReplyDelete